Monday, November 30, 2015

Classcraft

After surfing the Internet for different simulation games I came across a “suggested” post on Facebook: Classcraft. At first, I was a bit hesitant to try it out because it can be extremely daunting when you’re not literate on the platform. But, in due time I began clicking around and tried to make sense of the simulation game. As an educator, I’m not entirely sold on the game just yet- as it is extremely confusing to set up and figure out. I’m still learning and finding out new things months into “attempting” to use it. I think, if trained properly on the platform it could very well be an interesting addition to the classroom setting. The game allows you to embody an avatar that your teacher chooses for you- there are three options: healer, mage, and warrior. I have yet to truly understand the difference in these three roles but, I’m still learning. It truly frustrates me that I cannot comprehend the platform. I feel that if I were a gamer the platform would be more accessible and easier to be understood because most gaming platforms appear similar. If anyone else has used this platform please let me know, I want to love it because I think it could be a really interesting tool to gain student interest but, I’m still not entirely sold on it because it is so incredibly difficult to understand. 

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this game. I think that teens would find this fun and would want to keep up with it. I liked the different 'wins' the students could earn. I think their is a definite coolness to it. I liked the avatar and I think students would respond well to it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this game. I think that teens would find this fun and would want to keep up with it. I liked the different 'wins' the students could earn. I think their is a definite coolness to it. I liked the avatar and I think students would respond well to it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Briana,

    Thanks for sharing this game. I just finished reading an article about the game designer (a teacher), and am interested in taking more time to experiment with Classcraft.

    In your post you wrote, "It truly frustrates me that I cannot comprehend the platform." I agree with your frustration. This week's modules on gaming have opened my eyes to using gaming as a new entry point for engaging students. However, I'm not a gamer, and feel that to teach gaming, I'll have to become one, or at least, become a little more experienced in gaming.

    There's a contest for NYCDOE students regarding game design for social change occurring right now, and although I could assist my students with game concept design, I'm clueless with the technical aspects of game design.

    I intend on teaching myself game design over the winter break.

    ReplyDelete