Thursday, September 24, 2015

Journal #3: Multimodal Pedagogies and Trajectories of Remixing

After reading through Chapters 1 and 2, I found myself familiar with some of the terminology being used. The discussion that blogs and other social media usage in the classroom are platforms that should be incorporated into everyday usage is not all that new. Through my few years of teaching I’ve learned to incorporate blogging, social media, Google and a variety of other technologies into my classrooms. As quoted in Chapter One: Multimodal Pedagogies by: Lalitha Vasudevan, Tiffany Dejaynes, and Stephanie Schmier express, “blogging is more exciting than a journal because people can appreciate writing more if it’s in a book” (p.30). This quote seems to hold some truth to it especially with the younger generations. We are finding that students do not necessarily enjoy reading books but, are more inclined to choose shorter reading passages- magazine articles, newspaper articles or even a blog posts online. Students are hooked because these pieces of writing are relevant to their lives; they can feel a sort of connection and it allows them to be engaged in what they are learning.
Within Chapter One: Multimodal Pedagogies, Section: Multimodal Play we find a discussion about making our space by engaging MySpace and YouTube. This section raises an interesting point, “[…] youth of his generation- are more inclined to share online profile information than phone numbers” (p. 31). This shift that is occurring is so small in the large scheme of things but, it is interesting to point out that this shift is happening. There are times that I too find myself saying to people, “Find me on Facebook” instead of simply passing out my phone number. In a way, I too am placing myself in a virtual reality always having to rely on technology as a means of escaping a phone or face to face interaction. It is rather interesting to think about how many of us now-a-days are more likely to share our online profiles- profiles that contain photos, thoughts, and people we hold dear to our hearts. Why is it that we feel comfort in these social networking platforms and are not afraid of what they could do to us if placed into the wrong hands?
I asked my class to do a similar experiment to that of Mr. Norman’s (p. 32); I handed out iPads to the students and asked them to pull up any online profile of themselves that they wished to share. After doing so, I asked students to create a t-chart- on the left they were to describe their online persona, on the right they were to describe their real life self. After students completed those two tasks, I asked them to jot down the similarities and differences they found between their two personas. Did they represent themselves differently online?  After closely analyzing our online v. offline personas many students came to find that the way they represented themselves online was different than the way they conducted themselves in real life. I asked students to think closely about if the way we portray ourselves online accurately represents who we are, what we believe in, and what we stand for. This was an interesting experiment and I would encourage you to try something similar in your classrooms.
            Having students blog in class is an interesting means of teaching- many educators do it, including myself and it allows for me to teach my students how to become digitally literate all the while teaching them how to become active participants in a world that teaches them to be passive. Within the two chapters we read, I found there to be a disconnect between the educators and students. The educators seem to be lacking the necessary skills needed in order to be digitally literate in the cases provided in Chapter 2: Trajectories of Remixing. If we are to teach students the necessary skills needed to succeed, we too must be literate in what we are teaching them.


Lankshear, C., & Knobel, M. (Eds.). (2013). New Literacies Reader: Educational Perspectives (pp. 23- 56). United States: Peter Lang Publishing.

6 comments:

  1. Briana,

    I can relate when you stated, "students are hooked because these pieces of writing are relevant to their lives; they can feel a sort of connection and it allows them to be engaged in what they are learning." I couldn't agree more! I have found in my classroom that students are much more engaged with the learning material when it can relate to them personally. Before taking this course, I have never created a blog or wrote journals online. However, I enjoy having the ability to create my own journals, pick my own theme and fonts and read my classmates blogs at the touch of a finger. I can only image that my students would feel the same way. I am intrigued by the use of blogging in the classroom, and I am starting to form ideas to find ways to incorporate them into my own classroom. I want to be connected with my digitally literate students, and I don't want to fall behind on these new advances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Briana. When you wrote "... these pieces of writing [via digital technologies] are relevant to their [students] lives; ... it allows them to be engaged in what they are learning"(Del Bene, "New Media Literacies"), strikes a point of content relevance between conventional textbooks and curriculum, which are often similar to the 1900's, and the rapidly changing world of a young person of today, a world under-represented in textbooks and curricula. What these new digital technologies offer students is a way to learn classic content with contemporary applications, as well as the opportunity to create and publish new content critiquing old ones. The psychological potency of such a learning environment teaches students that their created content can be as influential and a contribution to knowledge as those of classic authors.

    Citation


    Del Bene, B. (2015, September 24). New Media Literacies. Retrieved October 3, 2015, from http://briananewmedialiteracies.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find me on Facebook...yes. Of course. Do you find that your life is less rich because of not passing out that phone number? What difference does it make, really, when texting has become part of the vernacular?

    The Table on page 42 of our textbook is such a fantastic guide to literacy in the classroom-there it is, all laid out. And, as you eloquently point out, students will "learn class content with contemporary applications" while CREATING and PUBLISHING their own, multimedia productions-there is a lot to be said for this experiential aspect to the new media. Now, a question for you: Tell me if you find this to be truly INTERACTIVE, or, is it very much isolationist to publish and communicate this way? Is the world getting smaller or, breaking up? Interconnecting or disconnecting?
    See you here and thanks for the good stuff.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Find me on Facebook...yes. Of course. Do you find that your life is less rich because of not passing out that phone number? What difference does it make, really, when texting has become part of the vernacular?

    The Table on page 42 of our textbook is such a fantastic guide to literacy in the classroom-there it is, all laid out. And, as you eloquently point out, students will "learn class content with contemporary applications" while CREATING and PUBLISHING their own, multimedia productions-there is a lot to be said for this experiential aspect to the new media. Now, a question for you: Tell me if you find this to be truly INTERACTIVE, or, is it very much isolationist to publish and communicate this way? Is the world getting smaller or, breaking up? Interconnecting or disconnecting?
    See you here and thanks for the good stuff.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Briana,

    At the end of your post you talked about having students become "digitally literate" through blogging which I see as really the basis of our course thus far. It is not just about trying to use the technology but it also about having the ability the be critical and responsible as a user of the technology.

    When you spoke of the disconnect between teachers and students often times I feel that that has to do with more just the operational functions of technology. If educators could see the benefits that technology has towards students gaining literacy, I believe more would be more apt to take the time to learn the operational processes.

    Overall it seems to be a continuous struggle but as you see in your classroom, and I know I see in mine too, the use of technology in education has a positive addition to schooling.

    Looking forward to reading more in the future.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading about your activity in which you had students compare their online selves to their "real" selves. I think having the chart as a representation is a great visual aid to help students understand and see the differences. As the world of social media becomes more relevant to everyday life (although I wish that wasn't so) it is important for our young people to understand the implications of portraying themselves in any certain way on the internet. I've also worked with students who have had real life consequences due to pictures on social media, including having a college revoke an acceptance because of photographs of a student drinking and smoking. To me, it feels like young folks still treat these profiles apart from their real life, which is something that becomes less and less true as more of our lives are lived online.

    ReplyDelete